Monday, February 17, 2014

CMF@CVP: Recording entitled "Am I talking too fast?"

Last night at CVP was a good one. A crowd primarily made of comics but the room was full. Now that I think about it, I should probably take photos of these places. A little visual aid, if you will.

The crowd was discerning, I felt. They weren't giving out free laughs, you had to work for it but if you had something good they definitely rewarded you. A lady in front of me had the best laugh and you know someone struck gold when she would clasp her hand to her mouth and moan "OH LAWD!"

When you can make a person react like that, it's got to feel amazing.

A lot of people signed up so it was 3 minutes per comic and as a result I focused on trying out a few new bits: Moob fight, Italian restaurant and Flower delivery. I think they did good for the most part, but afterwards I was wondering if I spoke too fast. The finish of Italian restaurant didn't have the heft that it did the first time I tried it and I'm wondering if it was because the speed was too much and I lost the crowd or the finish is too easy to see coming.

Moob fight is becoming a favorite and looking back on it, I think it'll segue easily into my wasted youth bit. I really enjoy it but I'm betting it would only work on a  younger crowd, I don't know how many people over the age of 40 would understand a Street Fighter / Dhalsim reference.






That is the face of comedy, people. Get with it.

My biggest problem lately is when I run out of the stuff I'm focused on for the set, I just stand on stage and wrack my brain for anything and just grind the show to a halt. I need to stick something in the back pocket, a simple bit that's killer and not bigger than a minute. That is my next goal.

Special thanks to Color Me Funny's Joe Greenway, Justin Hancock and Thezz Grimes for the fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment