Thursday, March 6, 2014

CVP 3/2/14: "Crowd was dead, I felt comfortable"

LATE UPDATE AGAIN! (I am reliable!)

Sunday at Charles Village Pub was the first time I had done comedy in over a week after a less than stellar excursion at Sidebar.

The crowd was mainly comics and a few drinkers, I assume because there were warnings of a massive snow storm that would strike us at midnight. The only heckler left after Luke Marshall's bit about Baltimore's Holocaust Memorial. As she left, she let Justin Hancock know that as a German she doesn't find Holocaust jokes funny and that he should let Luke know.

I know we all make mistakes and don't like to be reminded of that fact, but c'mon. Sometimes you just have to admit "my bad" and try not to repeat them, German Girl. By the way, your American accent was very convincing.

Since my last set was dying on stage and trying to get a reaction of any kind; my focus this time was to not freak and be as calm as possible on the stage. Besides not really having any material worth talking about, I feel confidence on stage is my biggest weakness. That and not being funny.

Before my set I went to the bathroom and was walking to the sink to wash my hands when a guy entered the room. He looked at me and assumed that I was going to just walk past the sink and off on my merry way, so he held the door for me.

And that's how I opened my set, that despite that I've trimmed my hair to look less like a derelict, people still assume that I have no personal hygiene.

My next bit was about how my cat gets better health care service than I do. Several parts got laughs and I think it has some legs, I look forward to streamlining it out.

To close out I did two of what I consider my A material and they did well, Justin said later he really enjoys the Happy Harbor bit which is pretty cool. I like Justin's brand of silly/gross/self degrading humor so it's nice to hear he likes a bit of mine. In the end, I sounded pretty good on stage and I consider it a success.

Chris Colletti told me about his experiences doing the New Comedian contest at Magooby's and the story of his biggest bomb on that stage while doing a guest spot. If you're a comic and don't know what I'm talking about, you really need to ask him about it the next time you see him.

Future goals are to do Jon Yeager's Friday open mic Friday at Benny's Bar & Grill in Potomac and try to get to Ryan Neser & Tok Moffat's open mic Tuesday in Frederick.

Here is a picture of a duck:





Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment